Tuesday, March 5, 2013

An Oldie but a Goodie... Toto's Africa


We live in a generation where not enough of my fellow young people can name a band pre-dating the last millennium. Yes, everyone can namedrop the Beatles but that answer is so obvious that it doesn’t even count as an answer. Honestly, even most “Beliebers” know at least one Beatles song.

If you have no interest in reading about a specific song, from a specific band, that you probably haven’t heard of, there is little to no point for you to continue reading this.

When the word, “Toto,” is uttered, without even realizing it, most people in the world see images of wicked witches, tornados, and oddly colorful munchkins. This is completely understandable. Considering the fame and grandeur of the Wizard of Oz, it is no surprise that name Toto has become synonymous with a film. I am well aware that it is next to impossible to change the first thing people think of when hearing the word Toto. I do however, wish to ensure that immediately after the world’s minds are finished humming “Over the Rainbow,” that the next song on the mental playlist is “Africa.”



If you have yet to manage to piece together where I am going with this, this post is not about a little dog, it’s about an often overlooked, yet iconic in a cult sense, band.

As an avid watcher of television, I am the first to admit that much of my iTunes playlist comes from the background music of my favorite shows. I have always been proud of said playlist and, over recent years, I have realized that my absolute favorite shows are the ones with the best soundtracks. It is no surprise then that, what I feel is THE best show to have ever been on television, has also had some of the best music I’ve heard to date. The show is Chuck and the music is everything from Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeroes to Pop Levi.

It was Chuck and the fictional band Jeffster that introduced me to the magic that is Toto’s Africa.

Video is a clip from Chuck 2.14 "Chuck vs the Best Friend" Jeffster's rendition of 'Africa'

The song is completely unique from anything that is heard in this day in age. It’s inspirational, catchy, and lacks the dubstep beats that have recently plagued 80% of modern music. It’s the type of song where, even if you don’t quite know the lyrics, you’re holding up a lighter and spouting gibberish because you genuinely want to.

It’s the song that should be played in any movie where the hero saves the world, the guy gets the girl, or a group of friends drive off into the sunset. It’s that kind of song. There’s no fist-pumping required and no need to start the worm (do people still do that or has the sprinkler made a comeback?). Africa is a song that requires no fanfare, and yet, is one of the most inspirational and motivational songs I’ve heard.

I challenge you to listen to Africa and not feel as though you could conquer the world after the final beat fades out. It’s impossible. Seriously. I salute you if you’re part of the .000001% who manages to not feel encouraged after listening. I also worry about you because if that doesn’t inspire you I don’t know what will.

Official video for Toto's 'Africa'

I don’t quite know what else to say on this topic because truly all you need to do is listen to the music.

If you suddenly have the urge to run a marathon, ask out that cute barista at the local coffee shop, or call your friends and suggest a spontaneous road trip… Don’t be alarmed. You’ve caught Toto syndrome.


Enjoyed that clip of Jeffster? Watch the whole episode (2.14) and then watch the whole dang series!

Did everything I predict come true when you listened to Africa? Hate Love to say I told you so. Check out the Toto albums. I personally think that Africa is the best thing they’ve produced but there are quite a few hidden gems that should be listened to.

Check out the Toto website for the lyric library, sweet(ish) merchandise, and news about the band.

No comments:

Post a Comment