Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Jennifer Lawrence: Why People Love Her



Let me preface this post by saying that I have been a fan of Jennifer Lawrence long before she signed on to play the pivotal role in the world’s most popular franchise. And even longer before she earned an Oscar for her riveting portrayal of Tiffany in Silver Linings Playbook. I suffered through enough episodes of the Bill Engvall Show to consider myself a true fan. Clearly I have an eye for talent because the world is now smitten with the ‘JLaw.’

Since the Oscars, there have been hundreds of articles revolved around explaining why people want Jennifer Lawrence as a best friend. And while each expresses numerous valid points, to an extent, the articles are just celebrity opinions of other celebrities. I mean, sure, the writers at EW and People probably aren’t bombarded for autographs on a daily basis but in no way are they entirely normal. They have an audience of millions while most “normal” people can only bank on their opinions being seen by their Facebook friends.

So, with that being said, here are some reasons why an average citizen thinks that Jennifer Lawrence is far more than just a Best Actress.

1. There’s No Pedestal
Simply typing, “Jennifer Lawrence GIFs” into Google will quickly explain reason #1 as to why Jennifer Lawrence is awesome. Unlike the pretentious A-List actors who strive to portray themselves in a specific manner, Lawrence is refreshing in the sense that she knows just as well as anyone that her job is just that. In no interview does Lawrence evoke a superior than thou attitude because, as voiced in multiple magazine excerpts, she is fully aware that acting is far lower on the importance scale than surgeon or firefighter. 'Not to sound rude, but [acting] is stupid. Everybody’s like, 'How can you remain with a level head?' And I’m like, 'Why would I ever get cocky? I’m not saving anybody’s life. There are doctors who save lives and firemen who run into burning buildings. I’m making movies. It’s stupid.'' The Vanity Fair excerpt perfectly sums up Lawrence's take on the perception of Hollywood  Lawrence has expressed astonishment to people’s reactions to her, which is nice to see. Often stunned by the fact that screaming fans are screaming for her and not Oprah, Lawrence tends to laugh at the prospect that, to the younger generation, she’s a far bigger deal than O. There is no Hollywood persona that Lawrence tries to uphold. She is who she is and has no qualms about being herself.



2. There’s No Filter
Most recently praised for her post-Oscars press interview, Lawrence has rapidly become known for her quick wit and even quicker mouth. She’s mentioned peeing on the red carpet, publicly denounced the importance of acting, and discusses her need of alcohol to make it through red carpet walks. 'Both of my brothers before I went on the red carpet... I was so nervous... they were like, 'Do shots! Do shots!' I was like, 'That’s not a good idea. It’s not a good idea.' And then I did it, and that went to 'I’m peeing in my pants!' on the red carpet.' She speaks like the 22 year old she is and, unlike many actors whose publicists carefully plan all press statements, she has no problem being blunt and honest about her opinions.



3. She Reminds You of Someone You Know
Whether it’s a relative or goofy friend, Lawrence has a personality that is relatable. Sure, people will undoubtedly be nervous and star struck upon meeting her, but Jennifer Lawrence’s endearing personality is something that people experience on a daily basis. Everyone has a friend, acquaintance, or family member whose personality is similar to that of Jennifer Lawrence. Although she is clearly a unique individual, and there is likely no other person in the world exactly like her, Lawrence has traits and mannerisms that can easily be compared to people around us. There are a hodge-podge of traits within Lawrence that are reflective of many of my own friends and family members. Lawrence is unique because at any given moment in time, a normal person can do something that will result in me saying, “You remind me of Jennifer Lawrence.”


4. She is Well and Truly Funny
Ex. A 'No, that’s not a vampire deal, it’s just a very violent, futuristic movie where kids are randomly selected from their home districts to fight in an arena to the death. But we don’t drink blood... that’s sick.' Late Night With David Letterman
Ex. B 'I would be Wes Bentley's beard.' — The Hunger Games character she'd play if she weren't Katniss, Hunger Games Mall Tour, March 2012.
Ex. C 'It’s almost like I subconsciously don’t want to work anymore, so I’m trying to ruin my career. [Leans into the tape recorder] I’m pregnant!... I did this to the New York Times. My publicist called me and was like, 'This is the New York Times. Be serious.' And then I found myself talking about orgies in three seconds.' —Entertainment Weekly, January 2013.


5. Family First
Lawrence has expressed on multiple occasions the fact that her family’s support has been the tether that has kept her sane in an insane world. There are numerous examples of actors and actresses whose poor family relationships have been cited as being the main factor behind personal and career downfalls. Lawrence is the antithesis of said actors. This past awards season, though forgetting to thank David O. Russell and Harvey Weinstein in her Oscars speech (which was quickly rectified with a press release), Lawrence was quick to thank her family. Lawrence endlessly commends her father for his ability to keep her grounded in a stressful world. In addition to this, Lawrence has stated on multiple occasions that her mother has had a key role in the projects she’s been involved in. Winter’s Bone and The Hunger Games are two projects that Lawrence has done as a result of her mother’s encouragement. In interviews, speeches, and conferences Lawrence has graciously thanked her brothers for being equally mean and supportive over her lifetime. 'I wanna thank my brothers, Ben and Blaine. I wouldn’t be who I am today without you being mean to me... but then really supportive and loving constantly.' It’s always nice to see that, no matter how famous a person gets, they will always be appreciative of the constant support of family.


6. Girl Can Eat
At her first go around at the Oscars Lawrence repeatedly spoke about the Philly Cheese Steak she ate on the big day. The second time, lamenting the fact that she hadn’t gotten the chance to eat before hitting the red carpet, Lawrence made the executive decision to order a Happy Meal from the McDonalds’s she spotted across the street while being interviewed. http://facesofjenniferlawrence.tumblr.com/post/26861698411/jennifer-lawrence-food-favorite-interview
She has stated in many interviews that she chooses not to diet because she loves food far too much. In a world where women are constantly judged for their physical appearance and body weight, it is incredibly refreshing to see a woman whose main concern is not the amount of calories she puts into her body.

7. She Has Great Taste in Music
The Black Keys and Mumford & Sons. Mad respect.

8. She Gets Star-Struck Just as Much as the Next Person
'One time someone was introducing me to Bill Maher, and I saw Meryl Streep walk into the room, and I literally put my hand right in Bill Maher’s face and said, 'Not now, Bill!' and I just stared at Meryl Streep... I just creepily stared at her.' —Vanity Fair, January 2013.
I’m sure at this point you’ve already seen this. The clip went viral almost immediately and was featured on sites such as People, Perez Hilton, Yahoo, and Entertainment Weekly. The clip pretty much speaks for itself as it highlights the fact that even Oscar winning actresses will freak out over meeting Jack Nicholson.

9. This:


In Summary: http://whatshouldbetchescallme.tumblr.com/post/43961205268/when-someone-says-they-dont-like-jennifer-lawrence

If I've sold you on why Jennifer Lawrence is rightfully this generation's female "It Girl" and now you feel like wasting an embarrassing amount of time looking at funny GIFs or interviews just follow the links...


One of the MANY Jennifer Lawrence inspired blogs:

Some JLaw GIFs that have literally taken over the web:

No comments:

Post a Comment